My Birthday Wish

So, I've orbited the sun once again.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who supported my birthday fundraiser last year in aid of Classrooms for Kenya. There may well be more fundraising for that wonderful charity later this year. However, for this birthday, I've decided to wish for something different.

Those who know me well will know that I started my Scouting journey 10 years ago. It began because my children were involved, and then a brilliant Cub leader invited me to come along to camp. Ten years later, I've lost count of how many camps I've attended, but I've volunteered in pretty much every section (just not Squirrels yet!) and loved every minute of it.

Over those years I've developed skills I never knew I had and experienced countless memorable moments. Scouting has taken me overseas to Kenya and Switzerland, and I continue to be amazed by how Scouts from around the world connect with one another. Age seems largely irrelevant. As you can see from my neckers and badges, I've traded a few over the years, and every trade came with a conversation, a story, or a new friendship.


Those experiences go far beyond the skills learned and the weekly meetings held in Scout huts around the world. Scouting has given me so much. Watching my own children progress through the sections, and now seeing my daughter preparing to attend the World Scout Jamboree next year, makes me incredibly proud to be part of this movement.

Another cause that's important to me, although requiring far less commitment, is blood donation.

I've been giving blood on and off for around 20 years now. I know I don't look that old! My most recent donation, last week, was my 40th. As a healthy adult male, I can donate every three months, so I'm hopeful of reaching my 50th donation around the time I turn 50. Travel plans next year may push that back slightly, but it's a milestone firmly in my sights.

For those who have never donated, it really isn't difficult or a huge sacrifice. It takes about an hour, and you're looked after from start to finish. There are even free drinks and snacks at the end. More importantly, though, that single hour could help save someone's life.

So, my birthday wish is simple: find a way to help others.

It could be an hour every few months donating blood. It could be helping a local youth group. It doesn't have to be every week, and it certainly doesn't have to be Scouting. (Although if you're local, I am always looking for adult volunteers, so feel free to send me a message!)

Giving your time for the benefit of others is one of the greatest gifts you can offer. We don't need recognition, shiny medals, or our names in lights. Sometimes, quietly giving our time and energy to help someone else is enough.

Nearly 10 years ago, I met an eleven-year-old Kenyan girl called Lucy, who shared a quote that has stayed with me ever since:

"The most fulfilling feeling to humankind is when you lose yourself in the service of others. That is the greatest show of humanity."

Thank you for taking the time to read my birthday wish.

I wish you all a happy, healthy, and fulfilling year ahead.

Andy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kandersteg 2026 - Travelling again

A day on the slopes - La Tuille